Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

X Marks the Scot!

Wow! It's been a while since I posted here, hasn't it? I hadn't realized how long it has been. The past few weeks have been a blur -- not due to any one thing, but really a whole bunch of small things coming in rapid succession. In any case, I haven't had too much time to post.

But I wanted to get a new post up with a picture of the final results of the X Marks the Scot tartan that I designed several months ago. Just a quick re-cap: The members of the kilt-wearer's forum at www.xmarksthescot.com were toying around with the idea of having an "X Marks" tartan for the forum members to identify themselves with. I had some free time one afternoon, and came up with a design based on the color scheme of the web site itself. Lo and behold people liked it. Since people were getting serious about the idea, I came up with two other designs, so that members could choose from a total of three. A poll was established, and based on the poll results and the final approval of the forum owner, the first design I created was chosen as the X Marks the Scot tartan.

The thread count was sent in to the Scottish Tartans Authority. I believe this may be the first and only tartan designed specifically for a web site! You can now see it used on the site's background.

Enterprising members of the forum decided to put their money where their mouth(s) is (are) and actually have the tartan woven in cloth. Several members are having kilts made, a few want vests, scarves, or other accessories. The cloth was woven by Fraser & Kirkbright and the order was handled by X Marks member Steve Ashton.

Well, I got a sample of the finished cloth in the mail today, and it looks great! The cloth is of fine quality, and heavy enough for a very good kilt. I'm pleased with the tone of the colors -- I'm just pleased in general. I designed the tartan so that it would look good pleated to either the white or the yellow stripe (assuming you want it pleated to stripe), and after seeing the finished product, I'd still say this was the case. It would look great either way.

So, for all you X Marks guys dying to see a picture of the "real thing," here it is!