Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Organic and Eco-friendly Tweed

Greetings, all!


It's been a while since I've posted here, and rest assured it is because I've been busy. (Trying to whittle that kilt making queue down a bit, as those currently in the queue will be happy to hear).


But I thought I'd post a brief update to let you know about something in the works.


The most recent edition of the STA newsletter, the Tartan Herald, contained an article about Ardalanish weavers on the Isle of Mull. I had discovered the web site of this mill a few years ago, and found them extremely interesting. However, I never made contact with them. Reading about them in the newsletter inspired me to get off my duff and send them an email, however.


You can see their web site, here:



Here are a few quotes from their web site that give an indication of their philosophy and practices.


"Ardalanish Farm lies in the remote south west corner of the Isle of Mull in the
Inner Hebrides, extending west from the white sand of Ardalanish Bay. Highland
cattle and Hebridean sheep are reared for organic meat, and the sheeps' wool is
used for weaving and knitwear. Organic turnips and potatoes are also grown."


And...
"Producing Hebridean and Native Breed Tweeds is a step towards revitalising
the traditional industry of weaving, with the end product paying tribute to the
sheep and the energy used to grow their lustrous wool."


And...

"...we pay a fair price to Hebridean and Shetland sheep breeders for their wool,
encouraging them to go organic and look after their unique environments by using
native breeds of sheep. Your purchase supports this."

I encourage you to visit their web site to learn more. You'll especially enjoy browsing their eye-catching collection of natural tweeds.


I've just placed an order for their "Hebridean Tattersal" (pictured here). It's described as "A rich Hebridean brown tweed with a silver grey tattersal over check."
I'm going to use it for a traditional box pleated kilt, and if I am happy with the results (as I have every expectation of being), I plan on offering my kilts in these organic and ethical tweeds. So please keep an eye out on my web site for more information!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I visited their mill while on Mull in May of this year. Wonderful people. At the time, they were planning to produce a Mull tartan--all w/ organic dyes, including actual woad! You might want to keep an eye on this...I was thinking that tartan made by them would be my "dream" kilt material :)
--Kenneth McIntosh